
EXCLUSIVE: The Tigers continue to press ahead amid the possibility of the play-off final being moved
Hull City’s sporting director Jared Dublin says the club continue to prepare to play Southampton in next Saturday’s play-off final at Wembley Stadium, despite ongoing concern the game could be delayed.
Hull Live first reported on Thursday that the EFL were considering being forced to postpone the Championship showpiece at Wembley Stadium because of ongoing disciplinary proceedings against the Saints, after being charged with spying on Middlesbrough before their semi-final first leg last Saturday.
It’s understood there are more Championship clubs implicated, with other grievances being aired about the behaviour of Tonda Eckert’s backroom staff during the regular season, which could yet have huge ramifications on English football’s second tier.
One potential outcome would see Southampton removed from the play-offs entirely, though a points deduction and a heavy fine remain options for the independent disciplinary panel, which will hear the case before Tuesday and decide on the appropriate punishment.
Given the tight turnaround between now and next Saturday, tickets have not yet gone on sale, and a reserve day is being considered should it be required, pending the outcome of the proceedings and any potential appeal.
Speaking exclusively to Hull Live at City’s Cottingham training ground after the EFL’s statement was released on Thursday afternoon, Dublin cut a calm figure and stressed the importance of Sergej Jakirovic’s players remaining focused on preparing themselves properly and not being distracted.
JOIN US ON FACEBOOK! Latest Hull City news and analysis on our Hull Live FB page
“No, not a good look for football, not a good look for the EFL for sure, unfortunately,” Dublin told Hull Live. “At this moment in time, we’re preparing for Southampton, that’s all we can do.
“We don’t want to go to Wembley with any excuses on this, that, distraction, noise, so the message to the players, the message to the staff is, we’re preparing for Southampton away at Wembley and see what comes.
“We’ll let the distractions be over with Middlesbrough and Southampton; we don’t want any in our house. All the players I spoke to today (Thursday) at the canteen, and the gaffer as well, the message was that we’re preparing for Southampton, that’s what we’re doing until we’re told otherwise.”
Should things change and the game be moved to another date, or Middlesbrough be reinstated, Dublin says the Tigers will do what they need to do to protect themselves, but for now, focus remains on next weekend and the chance to return the club to the Premier League after a decade away.
“Now we know that there’s a hearing on Tuesday, whatever comes will come,” he continued. “We’ll react as appropriate and as necessary to obviously protect our football club and our interests, but right now we are one hundred per cent focused on Southampton, away at Wembley.”
City, according to Dublin, are not one of the clubs that have raised complaints about members of Eckert’s staff snooping in the areas around Cottingham.
In fact, the Tigers were the last team to inflict a league defeat on the Germans’ side, winning 2-1 at St Mary’s back in January to complete the league double over last season’s relegated Premier League side.
“It didn’t work out very well, didn’t do a good enough job, I suppose,” joked the American at the suggestion that Southampton had spied on City earlier in the season.
“It didn’t work out so well. No, to be honest, I’m not aware of anything. I was asked this previously. I’m not aware of any spying that’s happened for us, and at the end of the day, we talk on the pitch, and when the whistle gets blown, that’s when we’re looking to make an impact. Spying, not spying, what’s happened in the past is the past. We’re focused on the following Saturday.”
Here at Hull Live, we are dedicated to bringing you the best Hull City coverage and analysis. Make sure you don’t miss out on the latest City news by joining our free WhatsApp group.
You can get all the breaking news and best analysis sent straight to your phone by clicking here to subscribe. You can also subscribe to our free newsletter service. Click here to be sent all the day’s biggest stories.


