
A multi-million pound improvement project is continuing at two major Hull roundabouts
Changes are to be made to traffic management, including a ten-week road closure, in the area of two major Hull roundabouts this month as multi-million pound improvement works continue. As part of the scheme at Ennerdale Leisure Centre roundabout, a section of Ennerdale will be closed northbound.
Starting from Thursday, May 21, the closure will be in place between the Thomas Clarkson Way/Ennerdale junction and Littondale for ten weeks. Littondale will remain open throughout.
During this period, traffic will be diverted via Thomas Clarkson Way, John Newton Way, Bude Road and Ennerdale. Buses will divert to Holwell Road, Nidderdale and Littondale.
Hull City Council says the closure will allow CityFibre to “carry out essential diversion and disconnection works, which need to take place to allow the council’s contractor, CR Reynolds Ltd, to deliver road widening and drainage improvements as part of the scheme”. To minimise disruption, Northern Powergrid is also undertaking additional planned maintenance works during the same closure period. The council says this will eliminate the need for a separate closure in the future. Contractor, CR Reynolds, will also use the closure to complete construction work that “cannot safely be undertaken under traffic management alone”.
The bus route diversion route has been agreed with operators to ensure Sutton Park continues to receive an uninterrupted service. However, one bus stop will be temporarily closed on the southbound side of Ennerdale between the Thomas Clarkson Way and Sutton Road junctions.
Meanwhile, changes will also be made as part of the Wawne Road/Bude Road Roundabout scheme. The emergency access road through Foredyke Nature Reserve will be closed from 5pm today (Friday, May 1).
The northbound lane closure on Wawne Road has been lifted and the contractor is relocating to Holwell Road to carry out electrical diversion works which are expected to last a week. There will be a southbound lane closure, followed by a northbound lane closure. A minor diversion route will be in place diverting all traffic via Wawne Road and Honiton Road.
On Friday, May 8, the lane closures on Holwell Road will be lifted and a southbound lane closure on Wawne Road will be introduced.
To support bus users and motorists, the diversion route via the emergency access road through Foredyke Nature Reserve will be re-opened and reversed to run from Wawne Road to Bude Road. To ensure the continued safety of pupils at Kingswood Academy, manned stop/go signs will remain in place on the emergency access road at 7.30am to 9am, 11.30am to 1pm and 3pm to 4pm.
HGVs will need to follow a diversion route via Bude Road, John Newton Way, Raich Carter Way, Barnes Way, Richmond Way, Grosvenor Road, Richmond Lane, Diversity Drive and Wawne Road.
Chris Jackson, executive director of regeneration and partnerships at Hull City Council, said: “Working with our contractor, we have made significant progress on the Kingswood roundabout schemes since we started on site in February – including drainage works and the reprofiling of the nearby embankments in order to create the space needed to increase the capacity of the carriageway. The traffic management changes planned for May will enable utility providers to undertake diversion works before we start full construction of the carriageway widening, including surfacing and the installation of new kerblines and streetlighting.
“We’d like to thank our residents and businesses for their patience and understanding while these important works are carried out. We will continue to do all we can to minimise disruption on the network.”
Before work began on the ‘future-proofing’ scheme earlier this year, Cllr Mark Ieronimo, cabinet portfolio holder for transport and infrastructure at Hull City Council, said: “Improving these two roundabouts represents a major investment in our city’s future and will deliver real benefits for our residents and businesses in the Kingswood area.
“Not only will the works help to tackle congestion and ensure our roads can cope with further growth, but they will also make the routes safer and more accessible thanks to the inclusion of enhanced pedestrian and cycling facilities, including new signalised crossing points, to make the routes safer. This strengthens our commitment to supporting sustainable transport and active and healthier travel choices.
“We’d like to thank everyone in advance for their patience and understanding while these important works are carried out. As a council, we will be working closely with our contractor to minimise disruption wherever possible by taking a phased approach and working on both sites simultaneously to shorten the overall length of construction.”
Work is expected to be completed by the end of the year.
Did you know you can make Hull Live a preferred source of Hull news in Google, which will mean you get more of our breaking news, exclusives, and must-read stories straight away? Here’s more information about what this means and how to do it – you can also do it straight away by clicking here.


