
A long-running and “festering” feud between two men suddenly turned violent when one of them angrily demanded to be given £400 that he claimed was owed to him.
Francois Muyololo aggressively confronted the other man during a chance meeting in the street and he punched him and threw him to the ground. There had been “considerable tension” between them but the other man was “no wallflower” and he had made threats, Hull Crown Court heard.
Muyololo, 21, of College Grove, off Preston Road, east Hull, admitted attempted robbery and assaulting a police officer as an emergency worker on July 2 last year.
Amber Hobson, prosecuting, said that Muyololo and another man were, seemingly by chance, walking towards each other from opposite directions on Ferensway outside Hull railway station at 12.26pm. Muyololo approached the other man and demanded £400 from him.
He punched the man in his eye area and tried to take his mobile phone from him. He shouted “Give me your phone” and continued yelling that he wanted his money. He threw the man to the ground before punching him again.
The man suffered bruising and swelling to his left eye. He followed Muyololo into the interchange area and spoke to a security officer to identify Muyololo as the person who had assaulted him. Both men later called the police.
The man later said that the incident had affected him in a lot of ways and he had visited his GP for help. “I feel like I should not have to go through this,” he said. “The incident has left me feeling like a victim and feeling really low.”
Muyololo was arrested at his home but he went upstairs and said: “I’m not going to the police station.” A police officer followed him and tried to grab him but Muyololo hit him in the face during a “tussle” on the stairs.
“Eventually, the defendant came back downstairs but continued to resist arrest,” said Miss Hobson. During police interview, he made no comment to all questions. He had no previous convictions.
Join our WhatsApp Community for the latest crime news

Matthew Moore-Taylor, mitigating, said that the other man had previously sent messages to Muyololo, some of them threatening. “This man is no wallflower,” said Mr Moore-Taylor. The man remained hostile towards Muyololo and he had said certain unpleasant things. “It was an entirely chance encounter,” said Mr Moore-Taylor. The threats made by the other man had been “festering” at the time of the confrontation and there was “considerable tension”.
Muyololo acted in a “fit of pique” and entirely out of character. “He doesn’t present a danger or risk to the public,” said Mr Moore-Taylor.
The blow which hit the police officer was not aimed at him and there were no injuries. Muyololo had worked since he was 18 and he had a 14-month-old son.
Recorder Helen Chapman told Muyololo: “I accept that you were at the end of your tether. You were owed money and took the view that you were scammed of the money. You accept that you should not have taken these matters into your own hands.”
Muyololo had shown “obstinate and pig-headed behaviour” towards the police officer who went to his home. The assault during a “tussle on the stairs” was reckless.
Muyololo was given a 22-month suspended prison sentence and 20 days’ rehabilitation. He was given a three-year restraining order.
